Saturday, November 23, 2013

Two Weeks Cancer Free

Its hard to believe that two weeks have come and gone already since my lung surgery. It would be great if I could say "Time Flies When You Are Having Fun." I am THANKFUL for comedians as I have their voices in my head while I am healing that give such a good giggle. The face of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs pops into my mind OFTEN! OK..so where am I with my healing...Since the moment I was released from the hospital, Jeff has had me moving! I was released Wednesday night and Thursday morning Jeff got me up early to get into a much needed shower. Then we were out of the house most of the day as well as most days. I am so sore on my right side and I am frustrated at how little I can pick up. I don't sleep well yet since I can't find a comfortable spot. I came home with a horrible cough that I still have not been able to shake. I have a cool wheezing sound that intensifies when I walk up the stairs. Other than that, if you were to see me, you never would have guessed that I had surgery two weeks ago. I do have to go in for another chest ex-ray this week since I have a small amount of fluid in my lung and they want to make sure it has not increased. Then I have an appointment next week with my doctor (everyone is out this week for Gobble Day). He is quite happy with how well I have recovered but still wants me to listen to my body and not over do it. Last Saturday was our adult session at Stake Conference (church meeting) and Jeff and I went. My favorite question of the night was from the Stake President himself..."What are you doing here?" Well President ____ it is Stake Conference. I have had my name on over 5 temple prayer rolls, my ward has been praying for me and a United Methodist Church in Texas has been praying for me. I have a very strong testimony of prayer. IT WORKS! My heart is just over-flowing with all the love that has been shown me. The beautiful flowers, the cards and gifts have been amazing. I have learned through a few of my gifts that soft things really help recovery!!! I LOVE my soft socks and blankets! I am putting that one in the brain to remember later for others who are in pain. I have seen on Face Book several people are doing their month of things they are Great-FUll for. I have not joined in since I don't even know where to start. I have so much to be THANKFULL for. I talk to my Father in heaven several times a day telling him all the things I love. My heart is also hurting for the ones around me still battling with health or finances or family problems. My step mom has been battling health problems so much worse than my own for years now but I don't hear but little bits now and then and now I have a better understanding of the daily frustration that she has been facing. I worry about my step dad and his struggles for health. One of the men my husband works with had a very scary heart attack this week. I think that when the scriptures talk about the plagues that will be happening in the last days, it is talking more about health plagues. Several of my friends fight depression, cancer, dialysis, and other problems. I had a fun day out with my youngest daughter today and in our discussion I let her know that not for one minute, am I sorry that I have had cancer. I am THANK-FULL that my father in heaven wanted me to stretch and grow and knew I could handle cancer. I don't know what he wants me to learn from this adventure but I know that he loves me enough that he walked me through it so I could grow and someday I will need to know all this to help another. I learned that we are ALL going through something REALLY hard in our lives. Not one person is sliding through. But what we do with that hard time shows the person we are becoming. I was given the opportunity to talk to some of the young women in our ward and I shared that I have been on this path with cancer. Now it is not my choice if I want cancer. BUT it is my choice how I react to it. I can sit down and throw a temper tantrum and complain about it to who ever will sit still long enough to listen, or I can educate myself and find humor and TAKE IT ON! I have learned something about myself..."I can do hard things!" I was given some great advice from my high school friend Marlisa SEVERAL years ago when I found out our second oldest was diabetic. She said..."One day you will want to wear the red shirt, but you find out the red shirt is dirty. Cry that the red shirt is dirty, but don't cry because your daughter has diabetes. Learn how to deal with the diabetes and be happy you are helping your daughter to be healthy." I hear that advice again now...With the love of my INCREDIABLE husband I say over and over again...I CAN DO HARD THINGS!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Layout