Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm a Survivor

May 16, 2009. Our Stake Relief Society had a Enrichment on "Surviving". We had 3 speakers and several booths set up with ideas on different topics.
The speakers had as their topics "Surviving the Pandemic", "Surviving with Humor" and "Surviving Money". These were great speakers!

The booths ranged from "Surviving beyond Cheerios", "Surviving the Clutter"...
"Surviving More than a Day"...to "Surviving pot planting" and more. (Sorry I can't remember all the booths that were set up...)

To my booth, "Tribal Feedings or "Surviving on what you have"
I talked about having a 6 week menu planned to help you to set up your shopping list, which helps you do see what you really use and what you need for 6 weeks. Then it is easier to add food for 6 months to 1 year. I had some different ways of rotating your food once you get it home from the store. I had examples of shelf life for many foods, and the life span of things in your fridge..(for example, Mayo should only be in the fridge for less than 2 months after you open it.) I also had a binder, I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) and what should be in that binder.
What do you take if you have 10 minutes to get out of the house? Oh, and where is it?
This was a great opportunity to bring food storage back to priority in our home. We get comfortable in the "Feasting" years that we forget about the "Famine" that could happen at any time from illness to job lay off to natural disasters.
I think for some the thought of starting food storage is a bit overwhelming so they just don't start. Others just don't know where to begin. I know for me, the idea of where to store it and then the possibility of MOVING it makes it so I don't want to do it. I HATE clutter. Everything needs a place and finding the place for it bugs me. I am trying to get over this.
I feel very blessed in being asked to do this booth. It is my goal to get our house organized with food storage. I have an incredible husband who helped me in so many ways to get ready for this one day, who supports me to get ready for the rest of the year. I am Blessed!





No comments:

Blog Archive

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Layout