Sunday, May 30, 2010

Danny Awards

Klaira is very involved with the drama class at her school. I have mixed emotions about it. Jeff and I both were in drama in high school and have fond memories of the experiences we had. I am excited that Klaira has found something that she enjoys doing in school. Now the mixed side of it....Here is Fresno/Clovis there seems to be need to have kids grow up faster than they need to. I find that several times the drama teacher has chosen plays that really are not age appropriate. I am very uncomfortable when young kids are having very heavy love scenes on stage. Do we really need all that? Can we change the scene to get the point across without having the kids all over each other? Are we giving the kids mixed messages? Don't make out in the halls, only on stage! Then we have these OVER the top parties. One being the Danny Awards. I understand the need to award the kids for a job well done. That is not my complaint. It is the outfits that we encourage the kids to wear at these events. The girls are barely dressed. There is so much of a "Hollywood" feel to it that it feels like how we are having "Proms" for 6th graders with all the hype of limos etc. This is just not age appropriate. We can have a great awards program without breaking the bank and dressing up more than the prom.
I'm not saying this the way I wanted to....
I work at school with so many confusing rules. In the handbook it says that there is a dress code and anything you do that is school related it to be in dress code. Then when we have a car wash, (7th and 8th graders) the girls are allowed to be in tiny bikini's. This made me SOOO embarrassed for these girls. Then we have swimming at school for P.E. and again, girls are allowed to wear very skimpy bathing suits. (but you can't show your tummy in class...)
We say no P.D.A. (Public Display of Affection) and then have the kids make out on stage...These are our future leaders and we are not teaching them to be leaders.
So how do we change? I have had some interesting discussions with the kids at school about dress code. There is one boy who wears a shirt that had a half naked woman on the front. It is his favorite shirt. He is allowed to wear this shirt. I tell him that if it was up to me that shirt would not be allowed because the girl on his shirt is not in dress code. Then we talk about WHY this is his favorite shirt. I am finding that parents are not having conversations about clothing with their kids. They allow their kids to dictate what is fashion (Parents WAKE UP!) and the kids are choosing their choice in clothes by shows on T.V. that the kids should not be watching.
I guess I am on a soap box.
Lets go back...The Danny Awards....Klaira went to the Danny Awards. A sweet girl at church let her borrow a dress because I was not about to buy a party dress for one night. I was proud of her for finding a dress that was age appropriate that she could borrow. I understand her need to be apart of what is going on at school, I am just not ok with how the activities are being presented.
I guess it is many talks about "Being in the world, Not of the world!".


I love this girl!!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Layout