Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Swine Flu, Swine Flu

Last week my baby (now 15) really was not feeling well. I figured it was a cold. She has been on a crazy schedule with school, the play, seminary....the list goes on. Well it got to the point that she was pleading with me to take her to the doctor. Now understand that this is a kids who HATES going to the doctor and will do all to avoid.
Sure enough, the doctor says it is Swine Flu and that she is probably at the tail end of it and when her fever is gone for 24 hours, she can go back to school. (They really don't have a test for the swine flu at the urgent care but since it is not "flu" season yet, they are calling it Swine Flu.) She started on Tamaflu (or what ever that stuff is to lesson the effects) and with 2 days home from school, felt so much better. I hear so much chatter on this subject that here I am getting on my soap box. ( You are welcome to check out other blogs now or skip to the bottom...)

There are several strains of Flu. The doctors guess which one will be the most popular for the year and put out the vaccine for that one. The chances of getting just that one is rare. The chances of getting ONE of them is good. The fact that it is a new one (there are new ones all the time) has put everyone in a panic. Yes, I understand that people die from the flu. They die from the chicken pox. They die from getting hit by lightning also.
Instead of getting worried about maybe getting the flu, I am trying to put my energy into what I need to do to get ready for possibly getting the flu. What food do I have in the house so that I do not have to venture out. Do I have meals in the freezer so that I do not have to cook for my family. Do I have meds to help me feel better while riding out the time...
At this point today, I am not ready for the flu. But, after Baby Girl having it last week, I am going to try to get myself ready. I go to work where there are many kids not washing their hands, not covering their faces when they cough and sneeze. I try not to touch the hand rails as I walk up and down the stairs. I try not to touch the doors going in and out of the buildings. Even sitting at the desk not knowing what was there before me...yuck! But, I wash my hands several times a day. I cover when cough and sneeze.
(I do ask that if you have a child with a runny nose, or is not feeling all that well, PLEASE do not bring them to the nursery on Sundays to share the joy with other little ones that lick everything and share so well.)
Just my opinion...I will get off my soap box now.

1 comment:

justjen said...

Amen girlfriend!! I am right there with you!!! Couldn't agree more!

Blog Archive

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Layout