Thursday, September 17, 2009

Well Said

Today I had a great lunch with a dear friend and we got on to a conversation that really hit home.
We have become a society of outsource-ers. We, as mothers, run our kids to piano to have someone else teach them how to play, then we run our kids to football, dance, tuba, day camp...again, for someone else to teach them how. We expect primary teachers to teach our kids about the gospel. People at school to teach math and how to share. We have people to clean our houses, cut our grass, fix meals that we can pop into the oven for a home made taste. We are great at organizing to keep everyone where they need to be when they need to be there.
Drop kids off at school
Take Fifi to the vet
Pick up dry cleaning
Take Jr. to the dentist
Two kids to piano
Put Costco lasagna in the oven
Take Jr. to soccer practice
Homework
Clean kids
Put to bed
Yes, we are busy all day. But what did WE do.
We have been counseled to Create, Organize, Learn. We are forgetting the pride and feeling of self confidence that we get from a wonderful meal that we make for our family, to nourish them. When was the last time that we did something to show our creativity side? When was the last time we learned something new? When was the last time that we organized something? I am not saying that providing opportunity for our children to learn is wrong..far from it! I think it is great to have our children learn to play the piano. But what are WE teaching our kids? This really made me stop and think about what am I teaching my own children.
Do my children know how to cook?
Do my children know how much I love my Heavenly Father?
Do my children know how to show compassion? Do service?
My friend told me about how she had bottled pears. She had bottled several dozen jars and they were beautiful. She left them on the counters for a few days just so she could see her accomplishment and took some pride in what she had created! GOOD FOR HER! We all need to do more of this. I am worried that maybe I have leaned on others too much to teach my children things that I should have been teaching.
What am I going to create today? What am I going to organize? What am I going to learn? What am I going to teach my children...
This was a good discussion!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Layout